Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I Butchered the Latin, didn't I?

Seeing as this is the first post in my blog, I feel as though I should write something so utterly profound and meaningful that all of you out there who end up reading this will never forget it so long as you live. Unfortunately, I have nothing particularly profound to say, so I will instead give a quick explanation of this blog and its perhaps puzzling name.

First of all, this blog is for school. Specifically, for the 2011 fall JBU Honors Orientation class. I was informed a few days ago that I needed a blog to post some of my school assignments and thoughts on our reading material in, so I sat down and relished the opportunity to get creative.

The name of my blog, 'Searching for Sophie', is a bit of play on words. Perhaps the badly-constructed Latin phrase, Quaestio Sophia et Veritas Deo will provide some enlightenment. If I got the words right (which I probably didn't, seeing as how I've never studied Latin before in my life) it roughly translates into: 'Searching for the Wisdom and Truth of God'. I find that whenever I read a book, this is what I'm doing - that is, I am searching for the Truth and Wisdom of God. That isn't to say I always find it. In fact, it's incredibly hard to find. You have to look for it very carefully and consciously, always keeping your guard up for imposters, in every nook and cranny and places you probably wouldn't expect. In short, you have to search for it. So 'Searching for Sophie' is actually just a fun way to say 'Searching for Sophia', which is to say, 'Searching for Wisdom'. I actually got the initial idea for 'Sophie' from the philosophical novel Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder, but I digress.

So perhaps I put way too much thought into the title of this blog, and I may or may not have (I really don't know)  disgraced the Latin language in the process, but I do think it is a lovely idea to have a blog where I can post my class assignments. So to whichever JBU faculty came up with the idea, thank you, and kudos to you!


Now, let's see if I can use this blog to its full potential in this class, shall we? And who knows? I might even find Sophie.


-Maggie


No comments:

Post a Comment